[Openstack] Remove Zones code - FFE

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Wed Feb 15 14:36:02 UTC 2012

On 02/15/2012 09:13 AM, Gabe Westmaas wrote:
> I think this thing we call zones is fundamentally different from an Availability Zone or a Host Aggregate.  An Availability Zone is about redundancy, a Host Aggregate is about capabilities, and a Zone is about infrastructure performance.

That is an awesome way of describing the differences.

 >I could easily imagine an Availability Zone larger than a Zone, and
vice versa, thus I want to be cautious about talking about the
relationships between them.

Very true.

 >And I think host aggregates are way too powerful an idea to keep
inside either of those boxes as well.

Perhaps, yes.

> In the new implementation we don't have entire openstack deployments - we have parts of an openstack deployment.  Hypervisors, DB, and the queuing service are all that are the new Zones.  Words that make the most sense to me are words that talk about that split rather than words that talk about location or aggregation.

Eventually, though, even the hypervisor wouldn't be unique in a Zone,
right? HostAggregates would take over the role of exposing
virtualization capacity and abilities... so really, a Zone is just the
partition of DB and MQ that services a segment of HostAggregates?

> Slice, section, segment, sector, division, partition - something along those lines.

Slice is overloaded from Slicehost...

Partition is fairly overloaded from filesystem and database terminology...

Segment has network connotations...

Sector has disk/drive connotations...

Perhaps division is the only one left out of the above that seems to fit
the bill? :)

-jay