[Openstack] Creating boot-from-volume capable image and volume

Anthony Young sleepsonthefloor at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 05:58:23 UTC 2012

On Fri, Feb 10, 2012 at 8:51 PM, Tomoe Sugihara <tomoe at midokura.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> Could someone tell me what is the right way to do boot-from-volume?
> Especially, how to create boot-from-volume capable image and volume?
> My understanding is that, since openstack API requires imageRef, we
> need to pass in both image and volume ids.

I was actually playing with this today, and just put up a review that adds
a devstack exercise to create and launch a bootable volume.  It is true
that --image is still required when booting from a volume - I have not
investigated yet if that is a bug or a consequence of how boot-from-volume
is implemented as an extension (which still may fall into the bug category).

https://review.openstack.org/4044

> I thought that create_image in EC2 API would be the one and tried, but
> it's totally broken now:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/923546
> And, I didn't find equivalent code in OpenStack API.

> I'd appreciate any help on this and I'd be happy to help debug the issue.

Hopefully the code above will give you some direction to get started.  My
experience thus far is that the end-to-end experience of using this feature
needs some work, so I'll probably file some bugs and patches while I muck
with it.  So it would be great if you took a look and did the same:)

Anthony