[Openstack] EC2 API (euca2ools) vs OpenStack API (novaclient)

Kevin Jackson kevin at linuxservices.co.uk
Fri Feb 3 09:27:10 UTC 2012

Hi all,
I need some guidance on how to proceed writing up OpenStack -
tutorials on its use.
A few months back, pre-Keystone, I could do a lot with euca2ools using
the EC2 API.  Since Diablo has come on a bit with Keystone, euca2ools
methods have been hit or miss.  I can do the basics, but not anything
like using the nova client.

All my notes so far are euca2ools based - but given the amount of
issues I've come up against, am I just using the wrong tools?  Is it a
goal of OpenStack to have an EC2 API, or should I be concentrating on
the OpenStack API?

http://nova.openstack.org/devref/api.html

Says

Nova has a system for managing multiple APIs on different subdomains.
Currently there is support for the OpenStack API, as well as the
Amazon EC2 API.

This sounds great, but euca2ools isn't working in all scenarios
(simple things like adding in security groups, etc).
So... do I

1) drop euca2ools as a way of managing OpenStack
2) do I just direct bugs to euca2ools maintainers?

or 3) have I just encountered some bugs and that people have no issues
with the full suite of euca2ools?  (For the record I'm using Diablo,
if you suggest I should concentrate on Essex I'm fine with that).

Cheers,

Kev
--
Kevin Jackson