[Openstack] Wiki content imported into MediaWiki - please check

Ryan Lane rlane at wikimedia.org
Tue Dec 18 19:09:41 UTC 2012

> The most obvious issue is how ugly the new main page is :) The loss of
> image inclusion and columns transformed an admittedly not perfect page
> (disclaimer: I authored it) into something unreadable and very
> unwelcoming. Note that it's probably the only page that uses column
> layout, so maybe we can just special case the main page rather than
> write a generic column-handler.

I just did a basic migration. I didn't edit anything at all. It's not
simple to migrate revisions from MoinMoin that have occurred since the
migration. The plan was to make sure all the content and revisions made it
over, then to fix formatting and such after we've switched wikis.

Wiki migrations are never pretty ;).

> Image inclusion however is a bit more problematic, as it's being used in
> several pages (like
> http://wiki.openstack.org/Documentation/Translation/Status) that are now
> broken.
>

> The second most obvious issue is the loss of the OpenStack theme on all
> pages: it would be good to theme the wiki before we complete the
> transition.

I'd love to do this, but I'm not a front-end developer. Anyone want to
volunteer for this?

> Other issues to watch for before completing the transition:
>
> * Broken table layouts, and no more cell background colors: See examples
> at https://wiki-staging.openstack.org/wiki/GrizzlyReleaseSchedule or
> https://wiki-staging.openstack.org/wiki/Releases

Should be relatively easy to fix.

> make sure that once the migration is completed they can still be
> accessed from previous URLs (http://wiki.openstack.org/Projects) so that
> we don't have to change URL pointers from other sites.

This is a good example of why content should never be served directly from
/. This is doable, but it's going to suck. We're going to have to add
exceptions for a bunch of things (like index.php, api.php, /w/, /images/,
etc.). Of course, that said, links should never break, so we'll bite the
bullet and do this.

> * <<TableOfContents>>: we used that macro on a lot of pages -- but I
> guess we could abandon them

This is a simple search and replace. I can install an extension to let us
search/replace across all pages. MediaWiki creates a TOC by default if a
page has three headings or more. It can be forced using __FORCETOC__. It
can be force removed using __NOTOC__.

> * Protected pages: A limited number of pages are protected in the old
> wiki (mostly governance pages, main page and list of official projects)
> to avoid random edits -- will this feature be kept ?

Yep. We can either make a group with the permissions, or give admin to the
small number of folks that need it.

>  > We're going to leave the wiki up for a couple days in this state. If
> the content is mostly agreeable and we decide to press forward, I'll
> migrate the data again and we'll replace MoinMoin.
>
> I fear we are more than just a couple of days away from being able to
> migrate content in a "mostly agreeable" way, but you're the expert :)

I meant the content being agreeable, not the style and such. Wiki
migrations often take months, not days. After the switchover we can have a
sprint to fix the most glaring issues.

That said, I'm willing to push the migration back if needed. Waiting on a
theme is worth pushing it back for.

- Ryan