[Openstack] Something horribly wrong with NFS

Marco CONSONNI mcocmo62 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 16:54:52 UTC 2012

Hello Andrew,

using NFS for live migration I found strange behaviors too.

To be more specific, I noted that at a certain point I couldn't boot any
new VM.
Live migration in itself was fine provided that I didn't reach a number of
concurrent VMs; the problem was that after a number of VMs (in my case 8)
the cloud stopped working.  I could do much but stopping VMs.
In my case I set up the scheduling in a way that all the VMs were
'dispatched' to a compute node till such a node was 'full'.

At the end I decided not to use it and use gluster, instead.

I followed the instructions reported here
http://gluster.org/community/documentation//index.php/OSConnect with some
modifications for having a single node running as a gluster server and all
the compute nodes running as gluster clients.
Something similar to what you deploy when you use NFS.
Note that my deployment is not going to be a production installation,
therefore a single gluster file server is OK.

Also note that I started my installation using Ubuntu 12.04 but the
migration didn't work properly for problems in the hypervisor,
With 12.10 everything worked properly.

Hope it helps,
Marco.