[Openstack] Fwd: nova-compute on VirtualBox with qemu

Andreev Artem just.wow at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 08:17:16 UTC 2012

*Hi Andi*
*Here is an extract from an installation guide for Essex which describes a
bit different approach to the problem solution rather than command line
customization:*
When running Nova within a vmWare/VirtualBox/etcThe default libvirt-bin
provided by the official Ubuntu repository (ver. 0.9.8-2ubuntu17) has a
problem with pure software virtualization fallback which doesn’t allow it
to run instances within a virtualized machine. However this problem is
fixed in the latest version of libvirt which can be installed from the PPA
with the following commands

# apt-get install python-software-properties
# add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-virt/ppa
# apt-get update && apt-get upgrade

The packages proved to be working have the following versions
qemu-common                   1.0+noroms-20120330-0ubuntu3
qemu-kvm                      1.0+noroms-0ubuntu13
qemu-utils                    1.0+noroms-20120330-0ubuntu3
libvirt-bin                   0.9.9-3ubuntu1~ppa1
libvirt0                      0.9.9-3ubuntu1~ppa1

Also make sure you have the following line in /etc/nova/nova-compute.conf
--libvirt_type=qemu

You can also try running /usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64 manually, this might
help to troubleshoot the problem. This binary might have some dependencies
missing when being improperly packaged.

Hope this helps.