[Openstack] Future of Launchpad OpenStack mailing list (this list)

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Mon Aug 27 22:54:34 UTC 2012

Hello folks

picking up this comment on the Development mailing list:

On Mon 27 Aug 2012 02:08:48 PM PDT, Jason Kölker wrote:
> I've noticed that both this list and the old launchpad lists are being
> used. Which is the correct list?

I sent the following message, with questions at the end that are better
answered on this list.

The mailing list situation *at the moment* is summarized on
http://wiki.openstack.org/MailingLists

To try to answer your question, the mailing list  for the developers of
OpenStack to discuss development issues and roadmap is
openstack-dev at lists.openstack.org. It is focused on the
next release of OpenStack: you should post on this list if you are a
contributor to OpenStack or are very familiar with OpenStack
development and want to discuss very precise topics, contribution ideas
and similar. Do not ask support requests on this list.

The old Launchpad list (this list) should be closed so we don't rely on
Launchpad for mailing list anymore. Last time we talked about this I
don't think we reached consensus on how to move things around and where
to land this General mailing list. A few people suggested to use the
exisiting openstack-operators mailing list as General list, therefore
not creating anything new.

Moving a group of over 4000 people from one list on Launchpad to
another on our mailman is scary. Unfortunately we can't export the list
of email addresses subscribed to Launchpad and invite them to another
list (LP doesn't allow that).  The first question is:

* where would people go for general openstack usage questions (is
'operators' the  best fit?)

* Then, what do we do with Launchpad mailing list archives?

If we find an agreement we can aim at closing the old LP-hosted mailing
list around the summit, where we will be able to announce the new list
destination to many people.

Thoughts?

/stef