[Openstack] Translating REST API response data based on Accept-Language header

boden boden at linux.vnet.ibm.com
Tue Aug 21 13:36:07 UTC 2012

All,

Although I'm still ramping up on OpenStack in general, it appears (via
visual code inspection and reading https://gist.github.com/2969337#id18)
there is no support from a REST API perspective to return translated
data to REST consumers by honoring the 'Accept-Language' in the request
header -- true?

As a non-horizon REST API consumer, I would expect (I do expect a lot,
just ask my wife :) my Accept-Language to be honored as best as possible
for localized data returned by the software system.

For example a software system (OpenStack) error which returns an error
message (response) "You can't pass in this junk" -- I would expect to be
translated into the locale specified by my Accept-Language header when
possible.

I do realize that not all response data is applicable to this construct.
For example data returned by alien calls (for example - to the
hypervisor) is out of the software's control (unless you can cascade the
locale down on the alien call) and hence is at the mercy of the alien
system.

Are there any plans (quick google didn't turn up anything useful) to add
support for honoring the Accept-Language??

Thanks