[Openstack] Is It Safe to Use The OpenStack Packages Distributed in Ubuntu 12.04 Official Repository?

Jonathan D. Proulx jon at csail.mit.edu
Mon Aug 20 13:40:53 UTC 2012

Hi All,

Dave and Marek  both have good points.  But I have to say I'm more
with Dave on this one.

OpenStack is still moving very fast so two month is a long time, but
if the version in you distro isn't ready for production for you then OpenStack
isn't ready for production for you unless you have a substantial
internal Dev/Ops support team for it.

Managing something as complicated as Openstack with all of it's sub
parts and external dependencies with all it's sub projects directly
fro "upstream" source repo and then tracking and validating updates is
not a manageable solution.

My recommendation would be to use Precise/Essex and test it to see
that it does what you need.   I use this combo for an interanal cloud
and I also have the sense from this list and speaking with other
moderate to large scale users that this is a very common production
combination.

If you find issues in the packages version that are fixed in teh git
repo than you can weigh an actual need against the significant added
complexity.

-Jon