[Openstack] Is It Safe to Use The OpenStack Packages Distributed in Ubuntu 12.04 Official Repository?

Ruzicka, Marek marek.ruzicka at t-systems.sk
Mon Aug 20 11:26:17 UTC 2012

Don't get me wrong Dave,
I'm pretty sure, that you guys at Ubuntu are doing a lot for the sake of this project. I definitely didn't any mean disrespect.

On the other hand, I simply stay behind my statement... from my point of view it is not production ready.
Production readiness highly depends on the particular use case.
We are running very small environment which e.g. requires auto assigning of floating IPs. Version in repos does not include some fixes that are crucial for this.
Considering the fixes were committed/merged few days after the current packages were published, it is understandable, but it doesn't change the fact, that it is not usable for me.

I see your point Dave. It probably wasn't "kosher" to answer general question with regards to my particular (very specific) experiences/needs. Even more I totally missed the "is it safe" part, and my statement could have been misinterpreted.

Having you already here... when can we expect new version of packages? It would save me considerable effort if I could just wait few days and get the fixes from repos, rather than going for sources.

Regards,

Marek Ruzicka
System Engineer (Storage)
T-Systems Slovakia s.r.o.