[Openstack] Qcow2 Details on base images

Gaurab Basu basugaurab88 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 10:05:34 UTC 2012

Hi Jay,

Thanks a lot again, trying to get an understanding of the overall process.

So the file system for qcow2 is sort of managed by qemu(not by openstack
itself) ... create etc is done by qemu but read/write from filesystem is
also manged by qemu?
Is the filesystem supported by qemu for all cases(hypervisors other than
kvm, or different image formats or when COW layer is not implemented)
or does openstack have it's own filesystem management as well.

And my next question is regarding memory management. In memory blocks are
read/write to and from filesystem.
So this process is supported by openstack ( if so,where should i look in
the code for memory management ) or qemu?

Thanks and Regards,
Gaurab