[Openstack] Cannot pass hint to Nova Scheduler

Heng Xu shouhengzhang.xu at mail.utoronto.ca
Thu Aug 2 14:57:53 UTC 2012

Hi folks:
I am new to openstack, I am current trying to test the json filter, I changed my /etc/nova/nova.conf as follow

scheduler_driver=nova.
scheduler.multi.MultiScheduler
compute_scheduler_driver=nova.scheduler.filter_scheduler.FilterScheduler
volume_scheduler_driver=nova.scheduler.chance.ChanceScheduler
scheduler_available_filters=nova.scheduler.filters.standard_filters
scheduler_default_filters=JsonFilter
least_cost_functions=nova.scheduler.least_cost.compute_fill_first_cost_fn
compute_fill_first_cost_fn_weight=-1.0

so I can use the json filter
however, when I was using it, if I boot a vm without any --hint to the scheduler, then the vm started fine, but if I use

nova --debug boot --image 827d564a-e636-4fc4-a376-
d36f7ebe1747 --flavor 1 --hint query=['>=','$free_ram_mb',1024] server1

my vm started with error, and the following were output from the command above

+-----------------------------
--------+--------------------------------------+
| Property                            | Value                                |
+-------------------------------------+--------------------------------------+
| OS-DCF:diskConfig                   | MANUAL                               |
| OS-EXT-SRV-ATTR:host                | None                                 |
| OS-EXT-SRV-ATTR:hypervisor_hostname | None                                 |
| OS-EXT-SRV-ATTR:instance_name       | instance-0000002b                    |
| OS-EXT-STS:power_state              | 0                                    |
| OS-EXT-STS:task_state               | scheduling                           |
| OS-EXT-STS:vm_state                 | error                                |
| accessIPv4                          |                                      |
| accessIPv6                          |                                      |
| adminPass                           | dKvrsv4MZtfc                         |
| config_drive                        |                                      |
| created                             | 2012-08-02T14:25:10Z                 |
| flavor                              | m1.tiny                              |
| hostId                              |                                      |
| id                                  | 9d4a5855-3c69-40ba-b50d-3a2aa6a92edc |
| image                               | cirros-0.3.0-x86_64-uec              |
| key_name                            |                                      |
| metadata                            | {}                                   |
| name                                | server1                              |
| progress                            | 0                                    |
| status                              | BUILD                                |
| tenant_id                           | d99ffa1b0c43455ab8dbbd81cf4380a7     |
| updated                             | 2012-08-02T14:25:10Z                 |
| user_id                             | d5e02f1810a44575b99a147f94507da1     |

as you can see, the vm is in error, this also happens whenever I need to pass a hint to the scheduler, as in samehostfilter and differenthostfilter,

Does anyone know what's going on, thanks in advance.
Heng