[Openstack] growing fixed-ip network

Narayan Desai narayan.desai at gmail.com
Thu Aug 2 14:49:33 UTC 2012

On Thu, Aug 2, 2012 at 8:42 AM, Christoph Kluenter <ck at iphh.net> wrote:
> * Am Thu, Aug 02 2012 at 09:24:55 -0400 , schrieb Ravi Jagannathan:
>> It should hop on to the next subnet block if available ( assuming that in
>> LAN its a private address scheme ) .
> We only use routable IPs. thats why we have some nets which can't be subnetted.
> What difference does it make if its private adress space ?

The major reason to use private address space is that there is likely
a lot more of it than you have in public address space. if you have
effectively unlimited fixed_ip space, you can give each project a lot.
For example, we give each project a /23. While a user could
potentially still run out of address space on our system, it hasn't
happened yet with our workload.
 -nld