[Openstack] Using Foreign Keys

Vishvananda Ishaya vishvananda at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 21:17:16 UTC 2012

The main issue is when the relevant tables are moved into a separate service a la quantum or cinder.  We can't keep referential integrity across multiple databases, so the foreign keys in this case need to be removed. It leads to an odd situation when there is still an internal implementation in addition to the external implementation because the internal implementation no longer has foreign keys.

As an example, we used to have foreign key relationships between instances and networks.  We can no longer have these because we support networks declared externally.  The internal network management now has no referential integrity, but this is the price we pay for separation of concerns.  We are going through a similar set of relationship-breaking with the volume code.

Vish