[Openstack] Using Foreign Keys

Doug Hellmann doug.hellmann at dreamhost.com
Wed Apr 25 18:02:19 UTC 2012

On Wed, Apr 25, 2012 at 7:38 AM, Andrew Hutchings <andrew at linuxjedi.co.uk>wrote:

> On 12/04/12 13:35, J. Daniel Schmidt wrote:
> > While testing our SUSE OpenStack packages we hit a nasty bug and
> reported it
> > as:  https://bugs.launchpad.net/keystone/+bug/972502
> >
> > We found out that the underlying cause was a lack of referential
> integrity[1]
> > using sqlite or mysql. When we tried to reproduce this issue on
> postgresql the
> > usage of foreign keys greatly helped to find the cause.
>
> >From a MySQL prospective that is probably more of an argument to use
> transactions, not foreign keys.

Transactions and referential integrity are related, but not equivalent.
Without referential integrity it's quite easy to commit a transaction that
leaves the database in a logically inconsistent state (it sounds like
that's what was happening in the case described by the OP).

Is there a technical reason to disable strict referential integrity
checking with MySQL?

Doug