[Openstack] Monitoring / Billing Architecture proposed

Loic Dachary loic at enovance.com
Tue Apr 24 16:00:23 UTC 2012

On 04/24/2012 04:45 PM, Monsyne Dragon wrote:

> On Apr 24, 2012, at 9:03 AM, Loic Dachary wrote:
>
>> On 04/24/2012 03:06 PM, Monsyne Dragon wrote:
>>> Yes,  we emit bandwidth (bytes in/out) on a per VIF basis from each instance The event has the somewhat generic name of 'compute.instance.exists'  and is emitted on an periodic basis, currently by a cronjob.
>>> Currently, we only populate bandwidth data from XenServer, but if the hook is implemented for  the kvm, etc drivers, it will be picked up automatically for them as well.
>>>
>>> Note that we could report other metrics similarly.
>> Hi,
>>
>> Thanks for clarifying this. So you're suggesting that the metering agent should collect this data from the nova queue instead of extracting it from the system (interface, disk stats etc.) ? And for other openstack components ( as Nick Barcet suggests below ) the metering agent will have to find another way. Or do you have something else in mind ?
>
> If it's something we have access to, we should emit it in those usage events.  As far as the other components, glance is already using the same notification system.  (there was a thread awhile back about putting it into openstack.common)  It would be nice to have all of the components using it.

Hi,

I don't see a section in http://wiki.openstack.org/SystemUsageData about making sure all messages related to a billable event are accounted for. I mean, for instance, what if the event that says an instance is deleted is lost ? How is the billing software supposed to cope with that ? If it checks the status of all VM on a regular basis to deal with this, how can it figure out when the missed event occured ?

It would be worth adding a short section about this in http://wiki.openstack.org/SystemUsageData . Or I can do it if you give me a hint.

Cheers