[Openstack] Multiple nova-networks with QuantumManager (Was : Role of "nova-manage network" commands when using QuantumManager)

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Fri Apr 13 15:30:15 UTC 2012

On Fri, Apr 13, 2012 at 5:34 AM, Vaze, Mandar <Mandar.Vaze at nttdata.com>wrote:

>  Dan,****
>
> ** **
>
> On similar lines – Currently if nova-network processes are running on *two
> * nodes, only way to set specific network on specific nova-network node
> is to execute “nova-manage network create” on respective nova-network node.
> Is that correct ?****
>
> ** **
>
> How is the above setup  related to “multi-host” ? I found a code comment
> that “Quantum Manager doesn’t support multi-host” ****
>
> ** **
>
> I’m copying Vish, as he seems to be expert on multi-host – Reading
> http://docs.openstack.org/trunk/openstack-compute/admin/content/existing-ha-networking-options.html, it looks like above is Option 2/Multi-Nic, but not really sure)  If yes,
> how is multi-nic supported by Quantum ?****
>
> ** **
>
> Additionally – in the above document Vish suggested that each nova-compute
> must run nova-network – Is that why with QuantumManager – nova-manage
> executes networking commands like iptables, dnsmasq locally ?

Yes, as documented Quantum Manager in Essex does not support multi-host.
 This is why the nova-manage limitation is workable, albiet somewhat
inconvenient.

In Folsom, we will support a model that provides the same HA benefits of
multi-host, though the implementation will be different, as the L3
forwarding + DHCP functions will be handled by Quantum, not by Nova.

Dan

--
Dan Wendlandt