[Openstack] I18n issue for OpenStack

David Kranz david.kranz at qrclab.com
Thu Apr 12 13:46:19 UTC 2012

Both points of view being expressed about this with respect to log error
messages are valid and need to be accommodated.
An answer, as was suggested a while back, is for error messages to have
two parts:

1. A locale-independent part that can be used for searches or understood
by developers who get logs as parts of bug reports.
2.  A localized part that lets operators determine if the problem is
their issue or an OpenStack bug to be reported.

The current English string would serve the first role, and the logging
code could be changed to also emit the localized string if available. I
would argue
for this only in the case of ERROR messages and not DEBUG.

While on the subject of logs, it would be good to agree on what actions
should cause errors in logs to appear. Ideally, they would only occur if
an OpenStack bug
was detected (out-of-bounds array ref, etc.) or some operational problem
occurred (disk ran out of space, etc.). Right now errors are sometimes
output for other
reasons such as bad arguments to api calls. This makes it difficult for
an operator to know when a real problem with the system has occurred.

David Kranz
Quanta Research Cambridge