[Openstack] I18n issue for OpenStack

Hua ZZ Zhang zhuadl at cn.ibm.com
Thu Apr 12 02:37:49 UTC 2012

Agree with you. UI level i18n is most important part since it will make
Openstack easier to use. Horizon does have built-in i18n support but need
to be translated. we're planning to help on this.

Best Regards,

 Edward Zhang(张华)                    地址:北京市海淀区东北旺西路8号 中关村
 Staff Software Engineer               软件园28号楼 环宇大厦3层 邮编:100193
 Travel&Transportation Standards       Address: 3F Ring, Building 28
 Emerging Technology Institute(ETI)    Zhongguancun Software Park, 8
 IBM China Software Development Lab    Dongbeiwang West Road, Haidian
 e-mail: zhuadl at cn.ibm.com             District, Beijing, P.R.C.100193
 Notes ID: Hua ZZ Zhang/China/IBM
 Tel: 86-10-82450483

             Joshua Harlow
             <harlowja at yahoo-i
             nc.com>                                                    To
             Sent by:                  Sean Dague
             openstack-bounces         <sdague at linux.vnet.ibm.com>,
             +zhuadl=cn.ibm.co         openstack
             m at lists.launchpad         <openstack at lists.launchpad.net>
             .net                                                       cc

                                                                   Subject
                                       OpenStack

So there is a question here that I don’t understand.

There a different levels of I18N, for say user facing error messages, or
for other things I consider UI (horizon).

Those need to be I18N and all that. I think the larger part that I don’t
understand is why the things that are not the above (log messages) are
being internationalized.

So what level do we want to have ;) And what level is normal for people to
expect (do systems like hadoop do I18N on there error messages, do other
apache projects?)

On 4/11/12 11:57 AM, "Sean Dague" <sdague at linux.vnet.ibm.com> wrote:

      On 04/11/2012 08:41 AM, Thierry Carrez wrote:
      > Sheng Bo Hou wrote:
      >> After the research done by my colleage Edward Zhang and myself, we
      have
      >> found the following issues for openstack. We have already raised
      bug
      >> https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/974810
      >> <https://bugs.launchpad.net/nova/+bug/974810>  .
      >> [...]
      >
      > Thanks for your analysis. We plan to discuss how to fix and extend
      I18N
      > at the summit. One question that was raised on the ML in February
      was
      > whether internationalization was actually worth the effort for
      > infrastructure software like OpenStack.
      >
      > I'll be the first to admit that there are other languages than
      English,
      > but all our open development is based in English already (bugs,
      reviews,
      > commit messages, mailing-lists, IRC...), so I don't think
      supporting
      > more languages in the software itself will help growing our
      developer
      > community.

      I would tend to disagree with that. People are more likely to invest
      their time in software if they'll be able to use it better in their
      locale. I think this is definitely even more true in places where
      English has less of a dominant presence. It may even bring people to
      the
      table solely interested in helping with translation. I've seen that
      happen elsewhere.

      > On our users community, do operators of OpenStack need translated
      error
      > messages ? Given that translations are often incomplete, is it
      worth it
      > ? What do comparable infrastructure open source software projects
      > provide ? The effort to provide them has proven non-trivial, I'd
      like to
      > make sure it's time well spent.

      If we want to think about OpenStack as a basic building block like
      Apache, i18n is critical. Otherwise there are regions that won't
      adopt
      it solely because of a lack of i18n.

      Is there a metric on the completeness so far? Something automated
      that
      could be a jenkins coverage kind of test?

              -Sean

      --
      Sean Dague
      IBM Linux Technology Center