[Openstack] OpenStack Satellite

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 01:39:27 UTC 2011

On Tue, Sep 27, 2011 at 5:47 PM, John Dickinson <me at not.mn> wrote:
> What benefits does an openstack-satellite project bring? Other than all using some openstack component, what do these projects have in common that justifies grouping them? For example, I know of many open source projects that use swift (swauth, slogging, cyberduck, all the rackspace language bindings, several iOS apps, a few dashboards), and I can't seem to see why they would benefit by being grouped into one umbrella.

That's the whole point, John... *you* know which open source projects
use swift (because you're a contributor to Swift). I wouldn't have any
clue what projects use Swift unless I was a contributor to OpenStack.
There is no place to go to see the variety of projects that are being
built to *consume* OpenStack APIs, to extend OpenStack projects, to
implement OpenStack APIs in different languages or using different
backends/algorithms, etc.

The point of the satellite project, as I understand the proposal, is
to have a place for the broader community (i.e. not Python core
project developers) to upload code and configuration snippets,
advertise alternate implementations, and in general have a place to
search the ecosystem of OpenStack stuff. What the could be wrong with
that?

About 5 years ago, I built MySQL Forge (http://forge.mysql.com/) for
similar purposes -- as a place for the MySQL project ecosystem to
live, big or small projects, code snippets, etc. That interface is
admittedly dated and needs work to prevent things like spam, but then
again, so does our wiki! The point is that not everyone is a) a Python
developer, b) cares about Python development, c) wants or needs to
contribute at all. I think it's a good idea to have a place where
people can go "shop the OpenStack bazaar" so to speak... :)

-jay