[Openstack] OpenStack Satellite

Darrel O'Pry darrel.opry at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 23:10:02 UTC 2011

It brings awareness to the possibilities of openstack.  It allows someone
like me who is reviewing the platform for their better understand how to
utilize it and how others are leveraging it. It helps developers trying to
integrate with openstack find each other.

It brings more attention to openstack as a platform by relating it to
external projects.

The concept of a contrib repo is nothing new. It will exist and have value
whether it is recognized or not.
On Sep 27, 2011 5:53 PM, "John Dickinson" <me at not.mn> wrote:
> What benefits does an openstack-satellite project bring? Other than all
using some openstack component, what do these projects have in common that
justifies grouping them? For example, I know of many open source projects
that use swift (swauth, slogging, cyberduck, all the rackspace language
bindings, several iOS apps, a few dashboards), and I can't seem to see why
they would benefit by being grouped into one umbrella.

> --John
>

> On Sep 27, 2011, at 4:09 PM, Matt Colton wrote:
>
>> This is another one of the sessions I'd like to see more support behind.
There is a lot of development going on around services that consume as well
as leverage the Openstack core. I think a place like this can help benefit
in the development of the outside projects and allow a place for these
discussions without polluting too much discussion here in the Core mailing
list.

rackspace.com at lists.launchpad.net] on behalf of Bryan Taylor [
btaylor at rackspace.com]
>> Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:27 AM
>> To: openstack at lists.launchpad.net
>> Subject: [Openstack] OpenStack Satellite
>>

>> I just saw Chris Bohannon's talk at the design conference regarding
OpenStack Satellite. This is an area for projects that are not part of the
OpenStack CORE, but instead that simply support it:
>> http://summit.openstack.org/sessions/view/3
>>
>> I think this is an important idea. There's a lot of stuff that can be
designed to "work with" OpenStack that isn't essential to the notion of a
cloud and so shouldn't be part of the core. There should be a place to put
such things. I can see this being the route to generate a lot of code
contributions as people try to contribute on the boundaries. I hope people
will support this idea.