[Openstack] Improving meetbot reports (was Re: Community metrics, developers' engagement)

John Dickinson me at not.mn
Wed Sep 28 00:56:28 UTC 2011

Taking a recent example, I think there is a big difference between http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/openstack-meeting/2011/openstack-meeting.2011-09-06-20.03.html and http://eavesdrop.openstack.org/meetings/openstack-meeting/2011/openstack-meeting.2011-09-06-20.03.log.html. The first is too short, and the second is too long.

The best thing I can come up with to describe what would be better (a midpoint) is a journalistic report of what happened at the meeting. Something with more info than what meetbot provides (3 votes, 2 decisions, jbryce talked 54 times, etc) but more clear than the IRC logs (holy great wall of text, Batman!). Meetbot's summaries are precise, but they have a non-human flavor to them, and they are only as good at the moderator for the meeting. The goal (as I understand it) of having all the meetings in the open is to make the decision-making process transparent and accessible. The current setup meets the letter of the law, but perhaps not the spirit.

--John