[Openstack] Improving meetbot reports (was Re: Community metrics, developers' engagement)

Stefano Maffulli stefano at openstack.org
Wed Sep 28 00:08:21 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-09-26 at 12:51 -0500, John Dickinson wrote:
> I too would like to see official community and PPB meeting summaries.
> Ideally, I think it'd be nice for the summaries to be written by
> someone not involved in the discussion[1], but that wouldn't be
> required. Something between what the meetbot produces and the raw IRC
> logs would be nice.

I'm very undecided about this as I don't know how this can be achieved.
Nice summaries from IRC discussions are not only very hard to produce
but also may introduce mistakes in the reports.

If meetbot reports are not sufficiently intelligible we should think
about ways to improve them. Or adopt Apache's policy of "if the
discussion was not on the mailing list it didn't happen".

Lets start by clearly identifying the problem: What are the major pain
points of meetbot reports?

/stef