[Openstack] Community metrics, developers' engagement

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 14:38:10 UTC 2011

On Mon, Sep 26, 2011 at 5:47 AM, Mike Scherbakov <mihgen at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi openstackers,
> as a developer, I'm less carried about numbers of threads/messages in
> IRC/commits,
> but more about the activities and content.

++ Trends are good to see overall robustness of development activity,
but for inquiring minds like yourself (and me too!), I'd like to see
more details about the big patches/features that were merged into
trunk in each of the major projects. It makes understanding the
direction of the subprojects a bit easier and gives me heads up
towards new stuff that may be needed in Glance or other projects.

> Existing weekly review seems to
> me
> already perfect in terms of numbers; since we relocated to github it's even
> easier
> to see impact.

+0. I'm not entirely sure I understand the point of the impact graphs
in GitHub yet... I don't find them all that useful -- more of just a
very colorful and rounded-corner representation of activity... but
easier to tell who's making an impact (code-wise) on a project than
trying to grep through Launchpad branch history!

> Weekly news now missing the section 'Developing mailing list' (12 Aug was
> the last one?),
> where we could get overview of what are the major things were discussed in
> the mail list.
> I loved this section, and would love to see it again.

++

> If someone could do a similar summarizing of IRC talks, that would be
> perfect.
> I personally don't care about # of commits and who writes what (I can use
> git blame if I need :)),
> but it would be extremely helpful for me to see what was changed in the code
> since last week.
> Namely, what branches/bugfixes merged. If exists, some notices, like 'Be
> careful, I changed
> smth here, smth there may depend on it'.
> One more thing - blueprints. I didn't find any mechanism on launchpad that
> allows me to follow
> changes in blueprints (added, changed status, etc.). Please point me, how
> can I do it.
> If it's not possible with launchpad - again, I would love to see it in
> weekly news.
> I even prefer to see it in weekly news, may be with some more details, like:
> <feature A> <url_to_code> <+/- lines of code since last week>, so I'll be
> able to see if
> there any progress on the feature.

This is a good idea. Perhaps Stefano can send an email to the PTLs of
the subprojects asking for assistance here. (hint, hint!) :)

-jay