[Openstack] Community metrics, developers' engagement

Mike Scherbakov mihgen at gmail.com
Mon Sep 26 09:47:13 UTC 2011

Hi openstackers,

as a developer, I'm less carried about numbers of threads/messages in
IRC/commits,
*but more about the activities and content*. Existing weekly review seems to
me
already perfect in terms of numbers; since we relocated to github it's even
easier
to see impact.

Weekly news now missing the section 'Developing mailing list' (12 Aug was
the last one?),
where we could get overview of what are the major things were discussed in
the mail list.
I loved this section, and would love to see it again.
If someone could do a similar summarizing of IRC talks, that would be
perfect.

I personally don't care about # of commits and who writes what (I can use
git blame if I need :)),
but it would be extremely helpful for me to see what was changed in the code
since last week.
Namely, what branches/bugfixes merged. If exists, some notices, like 'Be
careful, I changed
smth here, smth there may depend on it'.

One more thing - blueprints. I didn't find any mechanism on launchpad that
allows me to follow
changes in blueprints (added, changed status, etc.). Please point me, how
can I do it.
If it's not possible with launchpad - again, I would love to see it in
weekly news.
I even prefer to see it in weekly news, may be with some more details, like:
<feature A> <url_to_code> <+/- lines of code since last week>, so I'll be
able to see if
there any progress on the feature.

Thank you,

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Stefano Maffulli <smaffulli at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hello folks,
>
> in the next weeks I would like to start collecting some relevant data
> about the OpenStack community. One of the reasons for this effort is
> to understand it and communicate it to the outsiders better.
>
> There are lots of dimensions we can track: usage, awareness,
> developers engagement and more. Some efforts are already ongoing
> tracking awareness and usage, with the weekly report published
> semi-regularly on the blog.
>
> I would like to discuss with you ideas for other things you would like
> to see measured with regards to developers engagement in the
> community.
>
> here are a few things I think can be useful to measure regularly:
>
> * discussions on the mailing lists
>    # of threads and messages
>        top writers and company's affiliation
>
> * IRC discussions,
>    top contributors, most common words
>
> On the code side, we may want to start tracking, for each project:
>
>    # of forks, commits, reviews, "watch" (in github lingo)
>        authors and their affiliation
>        contributions in changesets and lines of code
>        (more or less what Jonathan Corbet did with the kernel)
>
>    # of bugs filed, opened, closed, reviewed
>        people that acted [open|review|close] on bugs
>
>    # of blueprints in the different status
>        people that acted on them
>
> As developers, are there any other dimensions that you would like to
> see measured?
>
> thanks
> stef

Mike Scherbakov