[Openstack] Nova DB Connection Pooling

Soren Hansen soren at linux2go.dk
Mon Sep 26 09:45:34 UTC 2011

2011/9/26 Monty Taylor <mordred at inaugust.com>:
>> I'm not a MySQL guru by any means, but can you explain this to me?
>> I've never read anywhere that MySQL "doesn't really like having a
>> bunch of unused connection sitting around for long lifecycles". It
>> seems pretty logical to me to have at least 2 persistent connections
>> to the database to avoid being completely blocked on database calls.
> So I should probably phrase that a little differently - and some of it
> is a question of scale. 2 connections, yes - 15 probably not.

I've not run MySQL at this scale before. How well will it handle a
couple of thousand persistent connections? When does the pain start to
kick in?

Anyways, this cloud stuff is all about *horizontal* scalability. It
does seem increasingly odd (to me, at least) to have the architecture
include this central datastore that everything needs to connect to,
regardless of how well this datastore scales *vertically*.

Something like Riak was designed to scale extremely well horizontally
(in much the same way as Swift). Using it will require us to rethink
our datastore access quite considerably, but the benefit is painless
horizontal scalability (and unicorns and ponies, of course).

--
Soren Hansen        | http://linux2go.dk/
Ubuntu Developer    | http://www.ubuntu.com/