[Openstack] Announcing Nova subteams

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Fri Oct 21 08:18:00 UTC 2011

Vishvananda Ishaya wrote:
> I understand the concern.  I really want to keep these sub teams focused
> on implementation details as opposed to large theoretical discussions.
>  Separate mailing lists may not be the best solution, but lets let it go
> for a couple of months and re-evaluate.  Keep in mind that it is just a
> few clicks to sign up for any team/list.  I can also get the leads to
> make regular updates to the main openstack list so everyone can get a
> high-level overview of the planned changes.

Yes, I'm a bit split on this.

On one hand the subteams creates special interest groups that are
project-oriented (in a way that is difficult to encourage at Nova's
level), and let them have separate forums for discussion reinforces the
"team" and "ownership" effect.

On the other, on every open source project I've been involved in, having
a general "developers" ML separate from special-interest MLs always
resulted in friction (and flames) when the special-interest MLs make the
rest of the developers aware of their already-made decisions.

I'm all for trying it out (and it's about the only way to scale anyway),
but keep in mind that you (1) should cross-post discussions that could
affect negatively things outside your subteam, and (2) should make
regular reports on your subteam progress (if any) on the global
mailing-list and the team meetings. Keeping some wiki page current with
the issues being addressed (linked from the wiki.openstack.org/Teams
page) generally also helps.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack