[Openstack] openstack-satellite

Chris Bohannon chris.bohannon at rackspace.com
Sun Oct 16 19:22:15 UTC 2011

Here are the notes we took as the design summit:

Notes From OpenStack – Satellite Session

1.  Portal or replacing github? - Directory for how-to’s -> devstack great example / crowbar / cobbler /
2.  How is this different than incubator?  - soon to be project in core, Satellite is very different
3.  Ubuntu - Open to main / open to universe -> collecting things into a place
4.  Need some type of a visibility as to what they will be current on what version of OpenStack (Diablo, Essex, etc)
5.  We don’t need PBB involvement right now
6.  Should there be a bar of quality set before stuff is added - should there be a process around this?
7.  Solve the problem of discoverability?
8.  How do you get rid of the junk, how do you make sure it is not random junk?
9.  Social media idea may be a good way to solve this?  Ratings and such.
10.  RSS feed coming off MYSQLForge might be a good way to track what is being added?
11.  States/status of the code, should that be included?
12.  Why not use sourceforge -> open a satellite area to it -> Jay knows the owner  'Branded' OpenStack page
13.  Shouldn't this be opensource or free use?
14.  “Compatible with OpenStack” trademark policy being worked on, may have some impact to this.
15.  GIST and Github to build a simple search interface, instead of using sourceforge
16.  example - performance stress test tool to test a 'deployment' - show the numbers -> jays example
17.  Jay will contact Elizabeth at sourceforge -> good first step, maybe create another site later
18.  Terms used - foundry, forge, 'store', market place, - should the name change? Openstack - neighborhood -> satellite doesn't seem to communicate what is right
19.  Keep Satellite name until we vote on mailing list
20.  SugarCRM -> SugarForge, SugarMarket
21.  FutureStack -> Jay last minute thing setup for projects that should go into incubation status, but not have the brand associated with them
22.  Idea is good
23.  Get a list of projects that should be listed on the site to begin with
24.  Crowbar, devstack, etc. should go in there