[Openstack] New git-review tool ready for people to try

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Fri Oct 14 18:17:17 UTC 2011

I agree in principle. I do think that we should have clear documentation
of all of the git commands so that people can know what's going on and
choose what to do appropriately.

On the other hand, there are many people who do not want to learn all of
the ins and outs of what's going on and want the simple "do these 3
steps" recommended best practice. Currently, that is codified as
"download the commit-msg hook, create a remote called gerrit and set up
a git alias called review that calls tools/rfc.sh" and we're suggesting
a possible change of that to "install this thing that will give you a
git review command and use it". End result of the
short-version-best-practices will be a slightly smaller set of "getting
set up" steps and the end of us maintaining a bunch of copies of rfc.sh.

However, it should NEVER be _required_ that someone use git-review. By
all means - I would love it if more people learned and internalized the
various git foo that's going on in terms of submitting gerrit reviews.
It is entirely possible to use the system using nothing by standard git
commands... and I want to keep it that way. But I also don't want that
learning curve to be a barrier to entry for project participation.
(contrary to popular perception, there are a bunch of developers out
there who do not know how to use git at all, and certainly do not really
grok plain english sentences such as "be sure to rebase your changes on
to master before submitting")

Also - because I was slow in responding to this thread - the intent with
the tool is absolutely for it to be a general tool that we can offer
back to anyone using gerrit- same as android have offered repo to folks.
We originally took rfc.sh from the gluster project, made some changes,
and then made git-review. It would make me happy if git-review wound up
providing value back to the gluster folks.

As for the dotfiles in the repo thing- I could see that going either
way. Having them there removes the need for a person who has cloned the
repo to have to run "git remote add
ssh://review.openstack.org:29418/openstack/nova" when they first clone a
project. This only really happens on first clone, so it's not that much
of a big deal. On the other hand, it's a nice bit of syntactic sugar for
new contributors and doesn't actually harm anything. (as notmyname
pointed out, it's certainly _less_ stuff in the tree than rfc.sh is
right now)

Monty