[Openstack] New git-review tool ready for people to try

Monty Taylor mordred at inaugust.com
Thu Oct 13 17:03:18 UTC 2011

Hey!

Currently, we're submitting changes to gerrit using a git alias which
runs tools/rfc.sh which is found in each code repo. There are a few
issues with that... we have to maintain a bunch of copies of the same
script, it's not terribly flexible or powerful because it's running from
an alias, etc.

SO

We've written a proper git command version of git review to replace the
git review alias, and I think it's good enough for you to try out now if
you'd like (we want to get some feedback on it/make sure it's solid
before we make it the canonical method for doing this)

If you'd like to give it a spin, do:

  pip install git-review

And continue using git review to submit changes as usual. There is a
current outstanding bug (thanks setuptools!) in that man pages do not
get properly installed when installing via pip ... so git review --help
will not do the right thing. git-review --help will work though, and
will show you how to get at some of the features we've added to it.

Amongst things git-review does:

  Rebases against the branch you're submitting to, rather than against
the place you cloned from
  Allows you to skip rebasing if you want
  Submit against a named branch
  Explicitly set the topic
  Downloads commit-msg hook if needed
  Sets up the gerrit remote if needed - and knows how to map having
cloned the repo from somewhere else to the gerrit repo you mean.

The code is managed at github.com/openstack-ci/git-review through the
OpenStack Gerrit - so patches are obviously welcome. :) Bugs can be
submitted to bugs.launchpad.net/git-review.

Thanks!
Monty

PS. This is entirely optional at this point - if you're not in the mood
to test drive beta patch submission software, please ignore this.