[Openstack] OpenStack API v1.0 Removal from Nova

Brian Waldon brian.waldon at rackspace.com
Tue Oct 11 20:59:57 UTC 2011

I would like to propose we remove our implementation of OSAPI v1.0 from Nova for the following reasons:

1) Our implementation is incomplete, and there are no (visible) plans to complete it. Shared IP Groups and Backup Schedules have been unimplemented since I started on the project.

2) The v1.1 spec is not backwards-compatible with v1.0. I would like minor versions to be backwards compatible as we move forward, so I see v1.0 as something we need to just get rid of.

3) As we are trying to complete the v1.1 implementation, we are running into problems created by having to support v1.0 (specifically image and server uuids).

4) Our implementation of v1.0 and v1.1 within the same modules have caused us to compromise code quality. Working on the controllers (specifically servers) is a royal pain.

I've already done the work of removing v1.0 from the code, and here's the review of my branch: https://review.openstack.org/840. I think it makes a lot of sense for the community to focus on making our v1.1 implementation solid, rather than constantly worrying about how we are affecting v1.0. If this is something we don't want to do, I would love to hear why :)

Waldon