[Openstack] Glance and configuration files handling

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 12:58:21 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 6:08 AM, Julien Danjou
<julien.danjou at enovance.com> wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> As far as I understand, each Glance app uses its own configuration file.
> However, it seems to me that it induces a couple of weird things.
>
> Today, I started taking a look on images cache and prefetch stuff, and
> bumping my head on the wall because something was not working.
> Then I discovered that the variable image_cache_enabled was set to true
> in glance-api.conf, but was not set at all in glance-prefetcher.conf,
> defaulting to false. The same applies for the reaper and the pruner
> AFAICS.

Yes, this is a known discrepancy. I believe we will work it out during
the work on this:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/glance/+bug/817570

> It does not seem really obvious and user friendly to set the same
> variable in multiple files, and it even seems kind of dangerous and non
> sensical, since you can set conflicting values.
>
> I think that Glance and its different services should only use on file
> to be configured, using subsection to configure specific app variable
> (service port, host, etc).

This is actually how it used to be. :) We split the configuration
files a while ago (maybe 6 months?) for a couple reasons, but for the
life of me I can't remember what they were. I've cc'd Dan Prince, who
I think will remember.

Cheers,
-jay