[Openstack] RBAC handled by keystone or each services ?

Joe Savak joe.savak at RACKSPACE.COM
Thu Oct 6 17:08:07 UTC 2011

Hi Kuo,
   RBAC is a hot topic at Essex right now with a few sessions to explicitly discuss them:

http://essexdesignsummit.sched.org/event/2610368e1c5bd0e52982777f75baafb5
http://essexdesignsummit.sched.org/event/2d4b84fe8559d6a144897a1d53adbb9e
http://essexdesignsummit.sched.org/event/6648ad6a353fd56d39d45193a69f6908

I'm sure notes will be shared about the Essex design summit soon.

In the meantime, Keystone tag 2011.03 provides the following functionality for roles:

1.       Core calls as defined in https://github.com/openstack/keystone/blob/master/keystone/content/admin/identityadminguide.pdf (should be fully  developed)

a.       GET /users/{user_id}/roles - returns global roles for a specific user (excludes tenant roles)

b.      GET /tenants/{tenantId}/users/{user_id}/roles - returns roles for a specific user on a specific tenant (excludes global roles)

2.       Extension calls as defined in https://github.com/openstack/keystone/blob/master/keystone/content/admin/OS-KSADM-admin-devguide.pdf (contract complete but not code complete)

a.       GET /OS-KSADM/roles - list roles

b.      POST /OS-KSADM/roles - add role

c.       GET /OS-KSADM/roles/{roleId} - get a role

d.      DELETE /OS-KSADM/roles/{roleId} - delete a role

Since the extension isn't complete yet,  you can use keystone-manage to add users, roles, etc for testing.

Thanks,
Joe