[Openstack] boot from ISO

Michaël Van de Borne michael.vandeborne at cetic.be
Mon Nov 14 13:44:22 UTC 2011

Hi all,

I'm very interested in the "Boot From ISO" feature described here:
http://wiki.openstack.org/bootFromISO

In a few words, it's about the ability to boot a VM from the CDROM with
an ISO image attached. A blank hard disk being attached to install the
OS files in it.

I've got some questions about this:
1. Is the feature available today using a standard Diablo install? I've
seen the code about this feature is stored under nova/tests and
glance/tests. Does this mean it isn't finished yet and could only be
tested under specific conditions? Which ones?
2. the spec tells about a Windows use case. Why just Windows? What
should I do to test with a Linux distribution?
3. I can see here
<http://bazaar.launchpad.net/%7Ehudson-openstack/nova/trunk/revision/1433?start_revid=1433>
that the Xen hypervisor only has been impacted by the source code
changes. Are KVM and VMWare planned to be supported in the future? May I
help/be helped to develop KVM and VMWare support for this 'Boot From
Iso' feature?

Any help appreaciated

thank you,

michaël