[Openstack] Stable branch reviews

Mark McLoughlin markmc at redhat.com
Fri Nov 11 10:45:58 UTC 2011

On Fri, 2011-11-11 at 12:11 +0400, Yuriy Taraday wrote:
> I wonder if we should keep Change ID consistent in stable and master
> branches so that if one merged something into master, reviewers
> and archaeologists can easily find both related changes in master and all
> backports of specific change.
>
> The simple scenario is: push change into master, then cherry-pick it on top
> of stable branch(es). Change-Id will be the same, Gerrit will allow one to
> find all such backports by clicking on Change-Id.

If gerrit can handle it, that would be great. But I'm not sure it does

In the mean time, we make sure that all commits to the stable branch
include "cherry picked from XXXXX" in the commit message to help
tracking.

Also, I'm experimenting with using git-notes to keep track of e.g. why
patches on master weren't cherry-picked into stable:

  http://wiki.openstack.org/StableBranch#Keeping_Notes

Cheers,
Mark.