[Openstack] Draft API specifications

Anne Gentle anne at openstack.org
Tue Nov 8 22:54:23 UTC 2011

Hi all -

We have three projects that need to have draft API docs (for a new API
version) published for feedback and consumption during the Essex timeframe.
(Quantum 1.0>1.1, Glance 1.1>2.0, and Nova 1.1>2.1)

I'd like to get ideas about where those should be published and some of the
requirements around their draft status.

   1. Is there a need for special treatment for "RFC" vs. "Draft"
   designations such as RFC for a certain time period, then Draft?
   2. Do these need drafts need to be published to docs.openstack.org/api,
   or is that site for "final" APIs for end-users? I envision introducing more
   confusion than is already present if we publish them side-by-side.
   3. Do these API drafts need their own site for the RFC/Draft period,
   such as api.openstack.org/drafts?
   4. What do other projects do with their draft APIs that you like?

Thanks for your input. At the team meeting I got *crickets* when I asked.
:) I'd like to set up a site that's as lights-out and automated as
possible, no need for me to be a gatekeeper on this info, but some up-front
info architecture will help people find and use the info.

Thanks,
Anne
*Anne Gentle*
anne at openstack.org