[Openstack] Cloud-init server?

Scott Moser smoser at ubuntu.com
Mon Nov 7 21:18:08 UTC 2011

On Thu, 3 Nov 2011, Joshua Harlow wrote:

> Hi I am wondering if there is any documentation on the server that is
> created for cloud-init to connect to?

I'm guessing you're referring to the meta-data service.
This is implemented in nova/api/ec2/cloud.py .
It basically  mimics the ec2 metadata service
http://docs.amazonwebservices.com/AWSEC2/latest/UserGuide/index.html?AESDG-chapter-instancedata.html

> I have read online about how a iptables route is setup, but does that just forward back to a openstack api (the metadata api?)
>
> I am trying to track down how userdata gets eventually fetched by cloud-init (or other service) since in diablo it doesn't seem like its placed in the image anywhere.

It generally *does* work in in diablo, so there must be some issue (as you
suspect) on your local usage.