[Openstack] All instances cannot be started and how to update nova, glance from older to the latest version

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 14:53:21 UTC 2011

On 11/07/2011 09:39 AM, mao weijie wrote:
> Today I git pull the latest nova,glance, keystone and novaclient. Then I
> reinstall them in my production.But I found it cannot work fine with
> older version about one week ago. I use nova-manage db sync.
> Now I have some questions:
>
> 1. glance now use like md5 result as id not single number in glance db.
> when I use glance command, it always show error.
> If I need to use the latest version, how can I convert it?

It's actually a UUID identifier now. However, the old integer IDs are
just converted to strings in the db_sync, so that should not be an issue...

What error are you seeing? Something about integer conversion? If so,
I'm not sure you have upgraded properly...

> 2. in nova db, instances table, I used to set "host" field the nodes
> hostname, now the latest version, If it is exists, error will show about
> " fixed_ref["instance_id"]["host"], then nova-network cannot running.
>
> 3.I use "sudo python setup.py install" each software. Then I kill all
> the processes about nova. and restart them. But libvirt show like
> "Domain not found …… instance xxxxxxxxx". Then all my instances cannot
> be started and I have to delete them. Why it happen?
>
> The important thing I want to know is that if I use git install nova,
> glance, keystone, how to update them safely?

So, if you are using the latest trunks of each project, and not using
official packages, you are running a bit of a risk :) Just pointing out
the obvious... but generally, the approach you are using above *should*
work, as long as you remember to run a db_sync on glance/nova/keystone.

I don't know why instances would fail to start after an upgrade. Hoping
that VIsh might be able to answer that one.

Cheers,
-jay