[Openstack] Does Nova works with several netwoks and VLANs ?

Narayan Desai narayan.desai at gmail.com
Sun Nov 6 19:00:12 UTC 2011

This looks more or less right. We have been running a setup like you
are describing here for quite a while, and we've found it to be stable
(and easier to setup than a lot of the other network options, IMO).

When debugging this sort of setup, trunking setup problems on the
switch are often the culprit. Here is a list of things to verify after
firing up an instance on each project network:
on the nova-network server:
 - is there a vlanX for each project vlan
 - is the brXX interface configured with the appropriate gateway
address for the project network
 - is the bridging setup properly (ie does vlanXX belong to bridge brXX)
 - is there a dnsmasq process running for each project network (it
will be a pair of processes, iirc)

on the nova-compute node:
 - is there a vlanX interface for each project vlan that has an
instance on the local machine?
 - brXX should have no ip address settings
 - is vlanXX connected to brXX?
 - is vnetX connected to brXX?

Another thing to check is if the instance is getting an ip address
from dhcp or not.

If you suspect trunking setup problems, you can add an ip address on
the project network to brXX on the nova-compute node, and try pinging
the .1 gateway address. If that doesn't work, your trunking setup is
broken. Make sure that the vlan is setup tagged on the switch port the
compute node is attached to, and that it is also passed upstream
properly in your network.

You should also check your nova-network logs.

Hope this helps.
 -nld