[Openstack] suggestion for data backup/recovery in swift

Michael Barton mike-launchpad at weirdlooking.com
Tue May 31 18:30:55 UTC 2011

On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 5:54 AM, Rostyslav Slipetskyy
<rslipetskyy at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> The problem is that every version would be stored on the same drives, which is
>>gonna screw with storage distribution.
>
> Could you please clarify this?

Sure.  We've talked about this as a method of adding a "versioning"
feature, not necessarily as a recovery mechanism.  But it's the same
idea.

Let's say you're backing up a Nova instance to Swift every day using
versioning, and each backup is 5gb.  After a few weeks, that hard
drive may be storing over 100gb for one "file".  Swift has no way of
taking that into account when placing files, so the distribution is
going to get clumpy, like one drive might get full while another one
is only half used.

> P.S. I couldn't find previous discussion on backup/recovery in mailing list
> archives, could you please send me a link if they are available online
> somewhere, thanks.

No, I don't think there's anything available.

-- Mike