[Openstack] [NetStack] Quantum Service API extension proposal

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Tue May 24 15:56:57 UTC 2011

Hi Debo,

That makes sense as a use case.  One way to model that would be as a "port
mirror" ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_mirroring ).   Port mirroring is
sometimes referred to as SPAN thanks to a large networking vendor ;)

In your example, if VM A is connected on port XYZ, a quantum plugin might
expose a capability to "mirror" the traffic from that port to either another
port on the network (local port mirroring) or to a remote IP address using
encapsulation (remote port mirroring).  This would seem to fit cleanly into
our existing model.

Dan

Dan Wendlandt
Nicira Networks, Inc.