[Openstack] OpenStack API, Reservation ID's and Num Instances ...

Jay Pipes jaypipes at gmail.com
Mon May 23 16:42:39 UTC 2011

On Mon, May 23, 2011 at 12:33 PM, Brian Schott
<brian.schott at nimbisservices.com> wrote:
> Why does getting the instance id require the API to block?  I can create 1 or 1000 UUIDs in order (1) time in the API server and hand back 1000 instance ids in a list of <server> entries in the same amount of time.

Instance IDs aren't currently UUIDs :) They are auto-increment
integers that are local to the zone database. And because they are
currently assigned by the zone, the work of identifying the
appropriate zone to place a requested instance in would need to be a
synchronous operation (you can't have the instance ID until you find
the zone to put it in).

-jay