[Openstack] [NetStack] Quantum Service API extension proposal

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Sat May 21 20:05:34 UTC 2011

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 11:51 AM, Ram Durairaj (radurair) <
radurair at cisco.com> wrote:

> Hi Dan:
>

> As far as I remember, In Design summit, we’ve agreed to expose “extra”
> attributes for Virtual networks and any other vendor specific features using
> “API-Extensions” and possibly thru existing Openstack extension mechanisms.
> Don’t recall that we’ve concluded on Jorge’s proposal.
>

> Also I think it’s better to follow a consistent model across the Openstack
> , provided the current Jorge’s proposal is generic enough and flexible
> enough for what we are trying to do in our NetStack side. I think we should
> take a look at Jorge’s and Ying model and as a team we decide.

Hi Ram,

Apologies if I have misinterpreted the consensus here, but I seem to
remember widespread verbal agreement during the summit on basing the API and
its extensions off of the standard OpenStack mechanisms.  Also, the main
Quantum Diablo Etherpad: http://etherpad.openstack.org/6LJFVsQAL7  (specific
text pasted below) seems to show you and Salvatore agreeing to Erik's
comment that we should use the standard OpenStack API and it includes a link
to Jorge's doc on OpenStack Extensions.

Jorge's proposal for extensions includes things like extension
querying/discovery, a mechanism for preventing conflicts between extension
fields from different vendors, etc. that I think are pretty fundamental to
the what we'll need to make Quantum successful.  As a result, I am
personally still strongly in favor of using the standard OpenStack extension
mechanism as the base of our API mechanism for Quantum.

I think Jorge's work is still in progress (Jorge?) so there should be an
opportunity to provide input on that front as well.  If there are types of
extensions that you are thinking about that won't work in the standard
OpenStack model or if you simply think there is a better way to do it, that
is something we should try to flush out ASAP.

Dan

=======  Start From Etherpad ========

*4. For EACH network service (could be one or more depending on question
#3), should there be a single, canonical REST API or should there be
multiple APIs?  By canonical, we mean the base API is the same regardless of
the driver/plugin that is implementing it.* * How should API extensibility
be handled? *

POSSIBLE ANSWERS:

EC - [8] We should strive for a single approach across all Open Stack
services.  To that end, we should follow the nova model and have a single
"core" REST API that is applicable across all drivers/service engines.
Where particular operations, headers, attributes, etc. are niche or vendor
specific, API extensions should be implemented that allow for those
capabilities to be programatically exposed but not required to be supported
by all drivers/service engines.  If you are not familiar with the concept of
OpenStack API extensions, there is a presentation here -
http://wiki.openstack.org/JorgeWilliams?action=AttachFile&do=get&target=Extensions.pdf.
Jorge is also doing a talk about this on Tue, 2PM at the Diablo summit.

RamD[8] Completely agree. APIs should be OpenStack API model

SO[8]: Agree with Erik and Ram.

 =======  End From Etherpad ========

--