[Openstack] [NetStack] Quantum Service API extension proposal

Dan Wendlandt dan at nicira.com
Sat May 21 18:04:50 UTC 2011

Hi Ying,

Thanks for sending this out.  I think many of the capabilities you are
looking to introduce (ability to configure ACLs, QoS, packet statistics) are
definitely things we will want Quantum to expose as API extensions
(and possibly in the future, as part of the base API if they are
sufficiently general).

During the summit we had agreed that extensions to Quantum would follow the
"standard" openstack extension mechanisms proposed by Jorge Williams, see:
http://www.slideshare.net/RackerWilliams/openstack-extensions

I've been trying to find someone to take a lead on building the API
extension framework within quantum to provide plugins with the ability to
register such extensions in a way compatible with Jorge's proposal, so
perhaps you would like to take the lead on designing and coding that?  The
blueprint is at:
https://blueprints.launchpad.net/network-service/+spec/quantum-api-extensions.
 Out plan from the summit was that all functionality except the base
"network connectivity" would initially be exposed as extensions, with the
ability for these extensions to be proposed as additions to the base API in
the future.  Thanks,

Dan

On Sat, May 21, 2011 at 10:09 AM, Ying Liu (yinliu2) <yinliu2 at cisco.com>wrote:

> Hi all,
>

> We just posted a proposal for OpenStack Quantum Service API extension on
> community wiki page at
> http://wiki.openstack.org/QuantumAPIExtensions?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=quantum_api_extension.pdf
>
> or
>

> http://wiki.openstack.org/QuantumAPIExtensions?action=AttachFile&do=view&target=quantum_api_extension.docx
>

> Please review and let us know your comments/suggestions. An etherpad page
> is created for API extension discussion
> http://etherpad.openstack.org/uWXwqQNU4s
>

> Best,
>
> Ying