[Openstack] Separation of IRC Channels

Soren Hansen soren at linux2go.dk
Wed May 4 21:31:11 UTC 2011

2011/5/4 Michael Shuler <mshuler at gmail.com>:
> On 05/04/2011 08:28 AM, Soren Hansen wrote:
>> 2011/5/4 Michael Shuler <mshuler at gmail.com>:
>>> Additionally, there [are] zero readability reasons to move to multiple
>>> channels at this time.  At no time since its inception (and sadly quite
>>> the opposite during the summit...)
>> The whole point of a summit is to take typing speed out of the
>> equation and have discussions in person rather than over IRC. Little
>> or no traffic in development channels is expected.
> For the people actually there, yeah..  ;)
>
> As I have suggested for prior summits, planning for some remote
> attendance would be very nice for including those that cannot travel for
> whatever reason.

No doubt we should have better remote participation options, but until
we do, I'm not sure what you expect? It would be rather silly to fly
all of us into a hotel (some of us have traveled a remarkably high
percentage of the Earth's circumference to get there) only to have us
communicate over IRC instead of talking to each other. Summits are, by
design, quiet time on IRC.

>>>  When it gets closer to #linux in volume,
>>> someone will quietly suggest a conversation move to -swift or some such,
>>> and it will just happen organically.
>> Isn't that what's happening here, now?
> Sort of - I was replying mainly to the suggestion of splitting off a
> -dev channel.  Ant's suggestion of -nova, -swift, etc. is along the
> right lines of separation (don't split users/devs), however, I still
> think this is kind of premature.  My point is that I have no problems
> reading every line of the channel - y'all think the volume really that
> prolific?

I don't think anyone is arguing it's as high volume as #linux. It's
just that 95% of it is noise for some people. Having to actually read
that much noise to find the signal absolutely sucks.

> (I read the list - please, reply to the *list*)

Are you familiar with the Follow-Up-To header? I have no clue if GMail
honours it,
but some other mail clients certainly do.

--
Soren Hansen        | http://linux2go.dk/
Ubuntu Developer    | http://www.ubuntu.com/