[Openstack] Separation of IRC Channels

Michael Shuler mshuler at gmail.com
Wed May 4 13:44:25 UTC 2011

On 05/04/2011 08:28 AM, Soren Hansen wrote:
> 2011/5/4 Michael Shuler <mshuler at gmail.com>:
>> Additionally, there [are] zero readability reasons to move to multiple
>> channels at this time.  At no time since its inception (and sadly quite
>> the opposite during the summit...)
>
> The whole point of a summit is to take typing speed out of the
> equation and have discussions in person rather than over IRC. Little
> or no traffic in development channels is expected.

For the people actually there, yeah..  ;)

As I have suggested for prior summits, planning for some remote
attendance would be very nice for including those that cannot travel for
whatever reason.

>> has the channel scrolled faster than
>> I can read, and at no time is my scrollback buffer beyond when I last
>> sat down to read the channel.  When it gets closer to #linux in volume,
>> someone will quietly suggest a conversation move to -swift or some such,
>> and it will just happen organically.
>
> Isn't that what's happening here, now?

Sort of - I was replying mainly to the suggestion of splitting off a
-dev channel.  Ant's suggestion of -nova, -swift, etc. is along the
right lines of separation (don't split users/devs), however, I still
think this is kind of premature.  My point is that I have no problems
reading every line of the channel - y'all think the volume really that
prolific?

--
Michael
(I read the list - please, reply to the *list*)