[Openstack] Creating a forum

Robert Middleswarth robert at middleswarth.net
Wed May 4 17:39:19 UTC 2011

I guess I am the target audience for this question.  I am a system admin
although I do some programming my primary job it to keep things running
and to build out new hardware.  I started looking at using open stack a
month or so ago as VMware isn't open source and I am looking to move off
that platform.  I can tell you the process of even testing openstack is
extremely hard why?  Because there is a lot of disjointed information
with a lot of blue prints in the wiki but no easy way to tell what is
and isn't yet ready.  There is limited install instructions unless you
want to install on your laptop and if you get into trouble doing the
setup the only real option I have it IRC.

Example: I had a question about openstack compute I asked a question in
the mail list and was told this wasn't to correct place I should use
answers with a link to answers were I spent an hours on lanchpad even
tiring to figure out were to even ask my question.  I gave up and ask my
question in IRC.  It took 2 or 3 times asking the question before
someone replied.  Most people would have ditched this project long ago
but I see great potential out of this project.  In the end I moved this
project to not viable at this time waiting for it to mature in to a
usable project.

Will adding a forum be a magic bullet no.  Will it add a place that is
easy to use and find information for non developers bring this project
closer to being usable by people like me likely.  Could it turn out to
be a waste of resources that no one ever uses possibly.

Thanks
Robert