[Openstack] Problem with "values" in JSON responses

Jorge Williams jorge.williams at rackspace.com
Tue May 3 23:58:09 UTC 2011

On May 3, 2011, at 6:29 PM, Eldar Nugaev wrote:

> Hi gents.
>
> At this moment we have problem in OS API 1.1. Any JSON response with
> "values" doesn't meet specification.

What specification are you referring to?

> Could you please provide information - why we want to see "values"
> field in JSON and who is responsable for implementation this
> specification in OS API 1.1?

We use "values" as a first attempt to add extensibility to collections in JSON.  We had a lengthy discussion about this at the summit.  To summarize:  there's no really easy/clean way of doing this as JSON is not extensible.  We're currently exploring other approaches, so values may go away in the long term.  The 1.1 spec is not set in stone in this regard.

> Also we have broken documentation on openstack.org OS API 1.0
> http://docs.openstack.org/cactus/openstack-compute/developer/openstack-compute-api-1.0/content/index.html

Right, Anne -- can you look into this?