[Openstack] Creating a forum

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Tue May 3 09:24:03 UTC 2011

Jordan Rinke wrote:
> I had a number of discussions with various people at the summit about creating a forum for openstack (forum.openstack.org) and everyone seemed to think it was a good idea especially for user support and discussions for people who are not likely to use a mailing list. So I have 2 questions...

A forum is almost always the wrong solution when we talk about a
developer/technical subject. In my experience it always ended up
fragmenting the community between developers (who don't read the forums)
and users (who don't read the rest).

It creates frustration as people ask questions that are not answered. It
creates confusion as non-skilled people give bad answers, and answers
from old threads end up outdated and wrong.

The solution for your problem is not a forum. It's a stackexchange-type
site. Then questions can be edited, de-duplicated and the good answer
wins, with a karma-based meritocracy that ensures self-administration.

So my suggestion is:
Set up a stackexchange-type site, drop LP Answers.

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack