[Openstack] Multiple Versions in Openstack API

Thierry Carrez thierry at openstack.org
Thu Mar 3 16:43:47 UTC 2011

Brian Waldon wrote:
> I could use some more clarification on what you would like to see. What
> do you mean by "recent versions"? How long should a minor version of the
> OS API be supported in future releases? Should we even expose minor
> versions as separate endpoints?

I have no idea what would be acceptable. Amazon seems to still support
2007-era APIs... I guess we could use a deprecation mechanism to get rid
of very old API versions (discourage their use before getting rid of them)

> Personally, I do not feel it necessary to expose minor versions with the
> understanding that they do not break backwards compatibility.

Right.

> Currently
> OS API v1.0 and v1.1 may seem like minor versions of the same spec, but
> they are actually major versions masquerading as such. This fact makes
> it difficult to support both versions given the current codebase.
> Really, we should define these as v1 and v2, and develop them
> side-by-side within the current nova/api/ directory (while sharing as
> much common code as possible).

I understand why it's easier to support only one... I just want to make
sure that's what we wanted to do, since I thought otherwise. Hopefully
someone with a longer history in the project than me will chime in :)

--
Thierry Carrez (ttx)
Release Manager, OpenStack